Netflix’s “Orange is the New Black” premiered in July and follows unlikely inmate, Piper (Taylor Schilling), who’s incarcerated for drug-mule-ing 10 years after her offense. Nearly one hour in the slammer was uncomfortable to watch at first, but this show’s inmate backstories reeled me in.
Season 2 “airs” Friday on Netflix, and here are my predictions.
- PREDICTION 1: Piper is full-out cray. At the end of S1, she lost her sh*t on methhead Pennsatucky (Taryn Manning), and from the looks of the trailer, she’s a hardened, blonde thug in S2. DO I BUY IT: S1′s cliffhanger/climax says sweet Piper is long gone, and I’m jazzed to see the effects of her transformation.
- PREDICTION 2: Crazy Eyes (Uzo Abuda) is moving up in the ranks. She was kind of a supporting antagonist in S1 and the butt of a lot of jokes, but methinks, from her strange Shakespearean flip in S1 and the Netflix trailer, show creator Jenji Kohan is gonna take Abuda’s acting chops out for a spin. DO I BUY IT: Yes. As a huge fan of each character, I’m ready to see Crazy Eyes’ backstory revealed.
- PREDICTION 3: Daya (Dascha Polanco) kicks prison guard/baby daddy Bennett (Matt McGorry) to the curb for his nasty counterpart Mendez (Pablo Schrieber). I suspect this leads to Bennett’s fall from grace that will mirror Piper’s. DO IT BUY IT: Yes. He’s too bright-eyed and dimpled to stay adorably innocent. And on the flip side, this offers a solid insight into how inmates and guards can eventually turn for the worst.
- PREDICTION 4: Piper’s ex-lover Alex (Laura Prepon) continues to canoodle with Nicky (Natasha Lyonne), and it fuels Piper’s rage. DO I BUY IT: Yeah. Piper and Alex pretty much cut all cunnilingus ties in S1, and I think show writers will do anything to push Piper to the next psycho plateau.
- PREDICTION 5: This is more of a certainty than a prediction, Queen Bee, Red’s (Kate Mulgrew) reign will be challenged by newcomer Vee (Faye Yvette McQueen). Who knows the beef between these two, but I’m raring to find out. DO I BUY IT: Yes. Red sometimes wields her power for evil, forcing Piper to starve because she insulted the jail’s food. And the grocery bin/drug thing was way harsh. I predict this will lead to a showdown of Shakespearean proportions.
Regardless of what goes down this season, I’m in. For those who haven’t watched and those who want a refresher, we’ve got four days.