Easter is tough. There aren’t many mainstream movies with an Easter-y theme, but here goes.
1. The Passion of the Christ. Mel Gibson spares no expense in portraying the suffering Jesus endured to save us all from sin. One word: Ouch!
2. It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown! The gang preps for the holiday in their own clumsy way. This 1970’s cartoon was one of the first widely accessible Easter films for kids. Until…
3. Hop. The Easter Bunny’s son picks Hollywood over the family business. It’s from the creators of “Despicable Me” and “Alvin and the Chipmunks.” Part live action, part animation, it’s the biggest animated Easter movie (possibly ever). And it’s got Russell Brand, Hank Azaria and Hugh Laurie voicing characters – sweet!
4. Easter Parade. Judy Garland and Fred Astaire shine in this musical. The plot: They’re readying a performance for a parade in the holiday’s honor. Lots of dancing and lots of music from a pair of Hollywood’s golden entertainers.
5. Shaun of the Dead. A comedy starring Simon Pegg that has nothing to do with Easter but features some other folks who rise from the grave.
Did I miss anything? Feel free to comment with your picks.